- Be responsible and respectful of your instrument. It is very fragile and expensive.
- Hold instruments by the neck. This is the strongest part of your instrument.
- Place your instrument in its case when you’re not using it.
- Wipe down the instrument after use with a soft cloth. Pay special attention to the area around the bridge and wipe off any rosin residue.
- Keep your instrument out of extreme heat and cold, out of the sun, and away from heaters and air conditioners. Instruments like to stay at room temperature.
- Never leave your instrument in the car unattended. Always take it with you.
- Never, ever touch the bow hair! Always pick up and hold your bow at the frog.
- Loosen your bow each time you put it away (lefty loosey, righty tighty).
- You will need to rosin your bow, roughly once a week depending on how much you play.
If something looks funny, sounds funny, or feels funny, or if an accident happens with your instrument, tell your parents and your instructor.